[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
iCareFamily.com • View topic - Sources of guided imagery?

Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    Forum Guide

Index » iCARE Training Modules: Join the Discussion! » 4 How to Relax

Post subject: Sources of guided imagery?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:49 pm 

I've found guided imagery, a variation of visualization, to be very relaxing in the past. Do any of you Photoziggys (Photozigsters?) know of a source of guided imagery I could load into my iPod to use? I can always Google the subject, but I thought you might know.

The materials seem to be tracking those in the "Powerful Tools for Caregivers" course I took from Senior Services. As always, it is difficult to change my behaviors to start and maintain a regular practice, in this case using the thought record or actually using one of the many relaxation techniques I know. So I find encountering them again and practicing them as part of the workbook to be a good chance to renew my efforts (or non-effort if I'm relaxing).

Post subject: Re: Sources of guided imagery?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:30 pm 

Guided imagery is very gentle but powerful tool.

As you mentioned, there are many websites you can download the program.

You may already know it but Kaiser Permanente highly values Guided Imagery and provides free downloadable programs in many different subjects.

https://members.kaiserpermanente.org/redirects/listen/?kp_shortcut_referrer=kp.org/listen

Please remember
Guided imagery can make you feel very relaxed. We do NOT advise you to listen to it while you are in the middle of activities which require concentration and focus such as driving.

Please enjoy guided imagery to reduce your stress and tension.

iCare team

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 am 

This is interesting and a new concept to me. I have started to get massages (2 so far) as a way to de-stress. The person doing the massage sat me down the last time and discussed imagery as a way to connect and then disconnect so I don't feel like I'm getting lost in the caretaking. This visualization has been very valuable for me. I was having a hard time connecting to my bud and then not feeling loss everyday all over again. She talked about the idea of visualizing myself a tree with solid base of roots. Arms uplifted in open to communication and care. Go in, take care, hug, then go back out. Keep the base of roots intact. I find I can connect more often and better (eye contact, a hug, etc) as long as I know I can step back out again. Boundaries in a visual.

I will try these sites. thanks! nanci

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 am 

Thanks for the info on the Kaiser downloads. We're not members of Kaiser but it looks like I can download them anyway. Both the relaxation and the sleep ones look promising.

A lovely image of the tree, nanci. Thank you for sharing it, I'll try it as well.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:45 am 

I'm enjoying the Kaiser tapes and am still trying to figure out how to download them onto my IPod so I can take them for a walk. Once I figure that out I know I will put them to use often. Thanks for the site. Nanci

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 am 

I discovered iTunes had the Kaiser tapes under music rather than podcasts. Does that help?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm 

I am not familier about the podcast but please try it.
There are many different guided imagery tapes and programs.
The one works for me does not necessrily work for you.
Please try them and find the one you like.

Enjoy!

mio

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 pm 

I've found the relaxation & wellness guided imagery from Kaiser to be extremely powerful for me, am going to try the sleep one, so thank you very much Mio.

I posted under Pleasant Activities that I'm sharing it with my wife and that is working for us.

Index » iCARE Training Modules: Join the Discussion! » 4 How to Relax