[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
iCareFamily.com • View topic - Making healthy habits do-able

Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    Forum Guide

Index » iCARE Training Modules: Join the Discussion! » 8 Healthy Habits

Post subject: Making healthy habits do-able
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

When it comes to adopting a new health routine or habit, consistency is probably the hardest of all.

With the new Healthy Habits Thought Record, you will find an excellent way of really getting to the bottom of it.

Check out our new resource:

http://www.icarefamily.com/support/inde ... id=0&nav=0

Happy Viewing!

:D

Post subject: Re: Making healthy habits do-able
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:57 pm 

I sure wish others would start to use these forums, I could use some feedback.
One of the biggest issues I have with healthy habits is consistency, you have that right. I have often heard that it takes awhile for our minds to plug into the consistency of whatever it is we're doing. I seem to have trouble day to day!

One of the hardest things about this is that I never have had this much trouble keeping those healthy habits consistent before. I have raised 4 boys, my husband out of time a lot and still I was able to attend a gym regularly, do yoga or palates once a day and eat great healthy meals.

That's pretty much shot now as I struggle to sleep, get chores done, and maintain my sanity throughout the day. Basically I'm exhausted.

So I begin with a step. My husband can't go to a gym anymore and I don't want to pay 15$ an hour for a caretaker plus the gym fees. So I'm going to try doing it at home. Yesterday I started doing palates by DVD. I did 1/2 hour while I set my husband next to me on the slowly walking the treadmill. He cannot follow instructions so palates or any type of gym activity that involves the two of us is out now. "Put your arm out" is too complicated an instruction for his brain to understand and it just becomes frustrating for the both of us.

Since I wasn't able to do the palates until 5:00pm, I discovered afterwords that I was in the mood to cook a healthy meal. aha! Two at once. So now I am going to stick to a short palates session just before mealtime whenever possible. When it's not, I will do what I can. I know that exercise is key to maintaining mental health as well and that goes for both of us, so I think starting with the exercise might be a good start.

Next is self confirmation I think. I think it helps to remember to praise myself when I can do something. Good job I say to myself OUTLOUD. haha, I think the neighbors would think me crazy, but hey, works for me.

If anyone else has a suggestion of how they keep up with healthy pathways, I would love to hear their stories. I think hearing others are struggling with this and how they make headway from time to time helps us all.

So there it is...a challenge...

Nanci

Post subject: Re: Making healthy habits do-able
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 pm 

Hi parkernr,
I am mysterymind24 and I have a hard time making health a priority for me. I tend to give time and effort to others and expect them to adhere to healthy habits but neglect to do that myself.
We both know that to be a better caregiver we must be of healthy body and mind. It is hard for me to do. That is why I have signed up to take this study. I know just by what I have read already that this is a good beginning to set positive ideas into action.
At this point, I am trying to commit to this program. I think that until we think we deserve help we can't help ourselves. If you are like me this horrible disease brings out a lot of things in me that I never knew I had. Anger, hurt, frustration, patience, love, compassion and more strength than I ever knew I had.
As we make time for our loved one, we must take time for ourselves to nurish our body and mind. I am open to any method you come up with and will share my methods as I learn them to.
Until we meet again, I am praying you have a great day and hope to hear from you again.

Index » iCARE Training Modules: Join the Discussion! » 8 Healthy Habits